30 April 2008

You Knew This Post Was Coming...

One thing that's amazing to me is how one-dimensional some people can be. Because they feel a certain way personally, they have to feel that way politically. Which brings me to abortion. I've had heated debates with many of my friends, and I always end up agreeing with them in one way and disagreeing with them in other ways. What people don't understand is how I can be opposed to abortion personally and still support pro-choice in the political realm. As a person, I probably wouldn't chose to have an abortion (and not because I'm a man, har har, you know what I mean). As a (potential) doctor, I would support my patient's right to decide what is the best choice for them. I can only give them health advice, I can't give them personal advice. Politically, I'm pro-choice, because let's face it, I'm pro-choice on everything.

(Side note: Although I am pro-choice, I also think Roe v. Wade should be repealed, because it sets a dangerous precedent of letting the federal government decide health matters. If they can decide a health procedure is legal, they maintain the right to decide which ones are illegal. I believe those issues should be left to the states.)

I could write another five pages on my views on abortion laws, but it pretty much boils down to this: I don't understand why someone feels they have to be pro-life politically just because they're pro-life personally. I'm not gay, but I still support the rights of homosexuals. I don't own a gun, but I support the rights of others to own them. I always wear my seatbelt, but I don't support seat belt laws. Why can't people distance themselves from...well...themselves?

No comments: