13 April 2008

What's in a name?

Since the last post was so dense, I'm just doing a quick post today. Actually, I'm hoping that most posts will be about this long, because the long posts take too much time to research and type. If I want to update regularly, it's going to be this type of post; just a random thought that pops into my head when I'm at my laptop.

Someone asked what the title of my blog means, so I'll just give a quick background. The name is taken from a song by Strapping Young Lad called Wrong Side. The full line is "Woke up, screaming, on the wrong side of the Zen." It is a reference to a common theme in Strapping Young Lad's work, which is prominent in their earlier album Alien. I wrote a term paper on this album in my History of Rock class a few years ago, but the major theme is that of a conflict between sanity and psychosis (Devin Townsend, the band's front man, has bipolar disorder). If you have the time, listen to Alien straight through, following along with the lyrics. Their handling of internal struggle is apparent not only in the lyrics, but in the music as well. So why did I choose that line as the title of my blog? Maybe because this blog will serve as a place for me to vent my frustration with stupid people. But really, I just think it's cool.

1 comment:

42towels said...

And also because it's the best Strapping Young Lad song there is. Glad you agree.