14 April 2008

Like "The Passion" Was All That Great...

A couple weeks ago, one of the local theaters had a sale of all their movie posters. Sharon went and bought the ones for Sweeney Todd and The Golden Compass. I was looking at The Golden Compass poster this morning, and got to thinking about the movie. His Dark Materials is one of the few (read: only) fantasy series I liked. I was so excited for the movie to come out, but I hated the way it was sabotaged by religious groups. Just because the author was an atheist and the book was critical of religion. Bill Donahue, the head of the Catholic League, called it "the most anti-Christmas movie imaginable." (although, to be fair, many religious figures vocally supported the movie) I have no idea why they picked this specific movie to sabotage. By their argument, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy should have been boycotted as well. It was written by an atheist, and talk about a book that slaps religion in the face. Or what about the Star Trek franchise? Created by an atheist, critical of religion. The Golden Compass was a great movie with Oscar-winning graphics, and even though it did well overseas, I highly doubt the sequels will get made (especially since New Line Cinema folded). That's too bad, I would've liked to see the rest.

On a related note, Sharon and I have decided to name our first daughter Lyra.

2 comments:

42towels said...

I haven't read the whole series. I read the first one, but I thought it took a bit too long to not really go anywhere.
But I've been informed as to how it ends, and I think it might be safe to say that if the religious community hated this one, there's no chance that the rest are being made regardless of production costs, etc.
And also, mom says Lyra is a nice name.

iamthebrillo said...

The first is definitely the slowest, but the series moves along pretty well. And the ending you're probably thinking of (the death of the Almighty) is so inconsequential and anticlimactic, it's almost like an afterthought. The actual story, regarding maturity and original sin, is much more interesting.