25 May 2008

rEVOLution

I happened to catch the Libertarian Party Convention on CSPAN today. The candidate I was pulling for, Dr. Mary Ruwart, finished second behind former Congressman Bob Barr. Of the possible candidates, I liked Barr the least. He's a fairly recent ex-Republican who voted for the Patriot Act and also voted to uphold the ban on gay marriage, though he says he has switched his position on both issues. Dr. Ruwart is a scientist who worked as a pharmaceutical researcher for almost twenty years, and has a fairly strong stance against the war on drugs. She has been in the party longer, but hasn't held a major office like former Congressman Barr. He kind of strikes me as a douchebag (or at best, a politician), but at least I agree with him in some aspects. He's better than McCain or Obama, and Clinton was never an option to begin with.

Some highlights from the convention include Penn Jillette receiving three votes in the first round and Steven Colbert receiving votes into the second round. I also liked when the Utah delegate introduced his state as "the place where separation of church and state is three city blocks." But I have to say my favorite part was seeing delegates form Arizona wearing Guy Fawkes masks. Awesome.

No comments: