10 May 2008

Climbing A Slippery Slope

I hate to keep bringing up the evolution vs. ID "debate," but with the recent release of Ben Stein's movie, I feel the need to keep bringing it up. I was just arguing with a friend about the teaching of ID in school. We weren't arguing the truth or evidence of the claims, just whether or not it should be taught in schools. What he didn't expect me to say is that I believe it should be taught in schools. Just not in science class. I've talked before about the Philosophy of Science and why ID is not science. It doesn't belong in the science class, but it does belong in history or English classes. In fact, I believe the Bible should be required reading for high school English. It is a great piece of literature. It presents themes and stories that are alluded to in other literary works. In order for these stories to make sense, people need a background with the Bible. Can you imagine reading Hamlet without understanding the concept of a "Christ figure?" Or The Sound and the Fury without the knowledge of original sin? But the main reason I think the Bible should be taught is that it puts it in better context. If people read the Bible alongside Homer's Iliad and The Grapes of Wrath, they would see it more as a work of fiction. I understand that a lot of atheists disagree with me. It does open the door for religion to force itself into schools, if not by the teachers, then by the students. I just think that placing it in the fictional realm takes away the stigma of "The Good Book" and makes it more "Just another book I'll buy the Cliff Notes for." Besides, we need more atheists. And I'll tell you from personal experience, nothing will make you an atheist faster than reading the Bible cover to cover.

1 comment:

phoenixphire24 said...

I totally agree, as long as other religious texts are also included, and not just for literary purposes. We all live in a world with religion, and I think it's important to understand what different religions believe in simply because it's a cultural issue. Plus, like you said, it's really nice to see the similarities between religious texts and how they all evolved from older stories and mythology. BTW, The Ramayana is a great read.