02 July 2008

Stroke Patients (Not That Kind of Stroke...)

Sharon has a couple friends over, so I'm not doing a video post today. I had orientation to the Psych/Neuro rotation the past two days, so I thought I'd update with the details for my rotation. I do two weeks of Neurology followed by four weeks of Psychiatry, with exams and OSCEs to follow. For Neurology, I was placed in the Neurovascular Team at Froedtert. Basically, that means two weeks of strokes and TIAs. We pre-round on all our patients at 7 am, meaning I'm assigned to either a new patient who was received overnight or an old patient who spent the night. I check their progress and lab results, then present the case to my attending at 9 am. Then as a team (attending, residents, and med students) we rotate through all the patients and determine diagnoses and/or plans. That should last until lunch. After lunch, if I don't have lectures, I follow the residents on consults and stroke cases who present to the ER. On days I don't have call, I leave at 5 pm. On days I do have call, I stay doing consults, etc. until midnight. I have weekends off (I do have one Saturday on call) and I get the 4th of July off, which is nice. This is a pretty standard rotation, basically what I can expect from all my rotations this year (with the exceptions of surgery and OB/GYN, where I do overnight call), so it's a good place to start.

No comments: